Water Facts

City Water Facts

Most city water comes from an aquifer or lake. Although the city treats this water source, only 2% is for in-home use. The remaining 98% is for industrial or municipal use. The City may have treated this household water to a degree that meets or exceeds the EPA standards. After treament, it may still need to travel through miles of pipe to reach your home.

Homeowners also have to pay for the water coming into their homes. A typical U.S. household pays about $1.50 per 1,000 gallons. For a family of four using 100 gallons per person each day that adds up to approximately $18 per month.

Well Water Facts

There are over 30,000 common pesticides derivative from 600 chemical compounds – all potentially ending up in our water supply. Every year society dumps millions of gallons of hazardous chemical wastes into our environment. Our landfills, ponds, pits, and lagoons in the U.S. contain some of the most dangerous substances known with the potential of soaking into our land and reaching our water supply.

Bottled Water Facts

Yes, bottled water has a higher price, but most times we prefer it over the city water because of its low level of maintenance and high quality and drinkability. According to the Beverage Marketing Corporation, the wholesale cost of domestic, non-sparkling bottled drinking water was $1.21 per gallon in 2011 compared to $6 per gallon for drinking water sold in 20 ounce bottles, which are also worse for the environment. Learn about the bottled water process at Gordon Water.

How Much Water Do We Use?

The common American person uses 80-100 gallons of water every day. Yes, that’s a lot of water and that total isn’t just drinking water. That figure includes water for cooking, cleaning, bathing, bathrooms, watering lawns and gardens, pets, and waste disposal. Actually, the amount of water drank by people only accounts for about 1% of the water that comes into their homes.

Signs of Poor Water Quality

  • A rotten egg or sulfur smell often signifies hydrogen sulfide and can produce a salty taste, which results from bacteria growing in drains, water heaters, wells, or on the inside of pipes.
  • Earthy or musty tastes or odors are often a sign of decaying organic matter in the water source or plumbing.
  • The smell and taste of chlorine is often present in city water for the disinfection process. It can be more common in areas with a lower quality of a water source. Bottled drinking water or reverse osmosis systems are ideal ways to remove this flavor or avoid it.
  • Metallic smells or tastes can be a sign of mercury, copper, lead, arsenic, or iron in your water. This can be from the pipes themselves.

How We Can Help

Gordon Water Systems’ skilled water specialists can answer all of your questions about your water supply and suggest the best options for you to get high quality water into your home. We invite you to contact us today and learn more!

Request a Quote

Family owned water treatment and bottled water delivery serving West Michigan for 50 years. We proudly serve over 13 counties in West Michigan and have four convenient office locations located in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Portage, and Rockford.



© 2024 Gordon Water Systems. All rights reserved.

Designed and powered by WebriQ.